Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Blending Past and Present

Image via Dear Photograph
Have you been to the website Dear Photograph?  It's this amazingly cool, nostalgic blog (now a book as well) based on the idea of  taking an old photo and holding it up to the spot it was taken.  Sometimes the photos and captions that people submit have me in tears, other times in stitches.  It's a real gem.  Time Magazine explains it best:  
Some of the Web's best sites consist of variations on one simple idea. In the case of Dear Photograph, that idea is taking a snapshot — usually one featuring one or more people and dating from the film-photography era — and holding it up against the original setting so that past and present blend into a new work of art. The images contributed by the site's readers are wonderfully evocative. Looking at the family photos of strangers was never so transfixing.
Image via Vanity Fair
Now, enter Vanity Fair.  They took this concept and applied it to old cinematic stills in this slideshow.  Genius, and equally mesmerizing.  

Iamge via Vanity Fair
There is something about the old transfixed upon the new.  It's like that feeling you get when you go to a historic site and think of all the things that have occurred at the spot that you stand at.  I just love it.

9 comments:

  1. That is super cool! There's a book by Pete Hamill that I want to read that reminds me of this. It's called Forever, and it's about this guy who basically lives through all of Manhattan's eras from early settlement days to the present day metropolis. He's basically the photograph that gets meshed with time over and over. I would love to find some pictures from old family albums to do this with, but most of the ones I've seen from my family have been in color, except for old black and white school pictures of my grandparents when they were younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That books sounds interesting, I'll have to add it to my read list. :)

      Delete
  2. I thoroughly enjoy some of those Dear Photograph posts. I love her blog, can't wait to read more.

    xoxo, hm

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to take a photo like this sometime. :) These shots are so endlessly fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! We have so many old photos, I just have to remember to bring them when I go to the places they were taken. (Tough task for me).

      Delete
  4. love this. coolest project ever! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Greate аrticle. Keep pοsting such kind of
    info on уour blog. Im reаlly impгеssed by іt.

    Hi thегe, You've done a fantastic job. I will definitely digg it and for my part recommend to my friends. I am confident they'll
    be bеnеfited fгom this ѕite.


    Mу websitе please click the next internet page
    Also see my web site: carbon fiber flute

    ReplyDelete
  6. Normally I do not read article on blogs, but I wish to say that
    this write-up very forced me to take a look at and do so!
    Your writing taste has been surprised me. Thanks, very great post.



    My webpage tao of badass

    ReplyDelete