Sunday, October 21, 2012

Martha's Vineyard

Foggy

This weekend we're in Martha's Vineyard for a family reunion.  I love being on the east coast.  Whenever I get to travel back east, I always fantasize about living here ~ the seasons, the history, the architecture, the general feeling.  There's something about it that makes our moderate climate and relatively short history seem so vanilla (this is not to say that I don't appreciate many aspects of living in California).

Looking across the harbor

Our family has a bit of history here.  
My great great great grandmother and grandfather bought a house in Edgartown in 1902 that was then passed along to my (accidentally typed "me" here - I wish!) great great grandmother, and stayed in the family until the 1980s.  At different times throughout this period (and beyond) great aunts and grandmothers all lived on the island.

Fall foliage

My great grandfather used to host spectacular family reunions, but the last one was held in 1985, the year before he passed away.  For years we have been saying what a shame it is that we don't get together for these big reunions anymore.  Well, my great aunt finally decided to take matters into her own hands and change that.

The house on Tower Hill

It just so happens that a friend of hers knows the gentleman that bought the house that was in our family for 80+ years. People talked, things happened, and he offered my aunt the house (along with another across the street) so that she could host our first reunion (other than weddings and funerals) in more than 25 years!


Needless to say, it is amazing to be out here, and more amazing than words can say to see our former family home. My aunt says that the master still smells like my great great grandmother!  And aside from the fact that the house holds such history for us, it is absolutely beautiful! 

Quirky details from the mural in the dining room

I'm loving the chance to be around family that I don't get to see very often, and getting a lot of details on our family history from my great aunt.

Sunset photo op
I am cherishing this time so much!

A mug I from the house that I'm hoping to find in town as a souvenir
Some snapshots from instagram (@hannybh):



11 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, those sunset photos are AMAZING! That's so cool that you're starting up the family tradition again - I love traditions like those. And I feel the same way about the east coast. I grew up in the midwest, where we have seasons and a different climate and all of that, but I lived in New Jersey for five years when I was a kid, and I feel like it stuck with me in small ways. I DREAM of NYC in the autumn. But I do love the west coast sunshine and beaches...=]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel! Yes, the west coast weather is very nice, but it just gets a little old for me this time of year...as I'm sure snow and cold weather does for those in harsher climates. The grass is often greener, I suppose...

      Delete
  2. Beautiful pictures Hannah... Wish I could be there! We'll have to go back in January, and there will just have to be another family reunion soon. I can't wait to hear all about it! Miss you xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I sooooo wish you guys could have been there!

      Delete
    2. As beautiful and as historical as I remember it.

      Delete
  3. Yes. Beautiful pictures! I definitely am inspired to paint! :)
    It is feeling redundant to say I wish I were there, but I do!!!!
    m

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story and pictures Hannah! I hear everyone couldn't make it on the trip, so sorry. Dietrich, I'm expecting a fishing report. Enjoy yourselves!
    j

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's so funny—as a life-long East Coast gal, I'm SO ready to be where you are. (California is in the works for sometime next year, fingers crossed!) But while I'd typically bemoan the impending colder weather, I've decided to soak it up while I can. There's just no denying how gorgeous it is this time of year. And I love your photos. That is SUCH a beautiful house, and it's pretty incredible that its current owner let your family have it back for such a special event. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the fall on the East Coast is so gorgeous. I was in awe of the trees the whole way up to Logan airport.

      I'll keep my fingers crossed for your move too!

      Delete
  6. I often fantasize about living on the East Coast too! It's so classic and picturesque, especially during fall. This place looks amazing, lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love martha's vineyard! i went for the first time last summer and i'd love to go back. so beautiful, and not at all what i expected.

    ReplyDelete